Saturday, December 23, 2006

NFL Picks Against the Spread: Week 16

As I continue on my quest of mediocrity, we only have 2 weeks to go, which makes .500 unlikely. But I can still dream.

Chiefs (-7) over Raiders
Sometimes I'm actually glad I don't get the NFL Network.

Redskins (+2) over Rams
The Jason Campbell has been pretty underwhelming so far, as Campbell has barely completed 50% of his passes and has 7 TD to 5 INT. But amazingly enough, Ladell Betts is only 67 yards away from 1000 this season and has been tearing it up lately. I'll take the Skins in a mini-upset to knock the Rams out of the playoff race.

Bucs (+3) over Browns
Bill Simmons just sort of hit the nail on the head: "Did you ever think they could have a Week 16 game devoid of NFL playoff implications, fantasy playoff implications AND "the loser has the inside track for the No. 1 pick" implications?" I hope I don't get so bored that I'd be forced to watch this game.

Bills (-4.5) over Titans
I love what Vince Young is doing, but I'm not sure he should really get the praise for the win last week, being that it was the defense that scored the TDs. Regardless, I think the Titans magical run ends in Buffalo, against a surprisingly ok Bills team led by JP Losman. Bills win in the "If we win this we might actually have a chance for the playoffs" game.

Saints (+3) over Giants
It just makes sense in the NFL that a week after the Saints lost at home to Washington they would go on the road to beat the Giants. That's just the way things work in the NFL.

Patriots (+3) over Jaguars
Don't look now, but the Pats are 5-1 on the road this year. Besides, at 10-4, amazingly enough, they're still not guaranteed a playoff berth, because the Jets could still win the division and knock NE out. Unlikely, but it could happen. So the Patriots motivation will be there, though admittedly it's hard to pick against the Jags against a good team, because they usually beat those.

Colts (-9.5) over Texans
Texans suck. The end.

Lions (+5.5) over Bears
The Bears have HFA in the NFC all locked up at this point, leaving nothing to play for. Of course, the antagonist could say the Lions have been playing like there's nothing to play for for the last 5 years. But I'm not going to go there.

Falcons (-6.5) over Panthers
Don't look now, but Chris Weinke is 1-17 in his career as a starter. And he's lost 17 straight starts after winning his first one. And this is his 4th year earning an NFL salary. There are worse jobs in the world than the backup QB.

Steelers (-3.5) over Ravens
Unfortunately for the Steelers, even after another miracle run to end the regular season they'll be missing out on the playoffs. Which generally tends to happen when you start 2-6 and lose even to the Oakland Raiders. Along with the Steelers streak, some concerns about McNair's health make me lean with the Steelers here in Pittsburgh.

Cardinals (+4) over 49ers
Don't know why but I just feel like the Niners will lose this game. I don't have any real rationale, just a feeling.

Seahawks (+4.5) over Chargers
Seahawks are a 4.5 point underdog at home? Hmmm. Like the Patriots, they have a relatively comfortable division lead but they're still not guaranteed a playoff spot. I think they'll be able to break their 2 game losing streak, or at least keep this game within 5 points by the end.

Bengals (+3) over Broncos
This is a tough game to call. Two solid teams fighting for their playoff lives. However, I'll just look at the QBs here. Carson Palmer is superb, and while I think Cutler will be excellent, he's still a rook. Slight nod to the Bengals, though I don't have a lot of confidence about it.

Eagles (+7) over Cowboys
Eagles are playing pretty darn good football right now. With Brian Westbrook getting the ball early and often, and Jeff Garcia limiting mistakes, I think the Eagles will keep this a tight ballgame.

Dolphins (-2.5) over Jets
Eric Mangini, you had a good first year run. 9-7 is nothing to be ashamed of.

Last Week: 7-8
Season: 93-103-8

3 comments:

SAMO said...

Eagles - Cowboys. 7 is a lot of points to give up to the Eagles. But at the same time I think this game has the potential to be a blow out...I hate picking NFL games vs. the spread. HAHA.

twins15 said...

As you can tell from my record I'm not fond of it either!

Unknown said...

Nasi Babi Seang Hai di Poipet enak bro!
Seang Hai