Friday, July 07, 2006

Just read "Ball Four"

Yeah, every other baseball fan on the planet has probably read the book, but I just got around to reading it lately, and am just about to finish, and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

It's been called the best baseball book of all-time, and while I myself am not qualified enough to say whether that's accurate or not, I can say that it's the best baseball book that I've ever read, and one of the best books that I've ever read, period.

If you're not an avid reader, the fact that it's rather long could scare you, but it's all written in short parahraphs, easy to read, funny, and well written. And I think the prevalining thing is that it's just brutally honest. Some guys aren't exactly portrayed well regardless of their talents, but that's part of what makes this book so interesting.

Anyway, on the off chance that someone reading here hasn't read the book, I urge you to go down to your local branch of the public library and pick it up. Amazon has it rated 4.5 starts.

On that note, have you read it and what did you think?

1 comment:

Big Al said...

I first read B4 in the late 70's, and it was a real eye opener, and enormously funny, espcially to someone who had only read the highly sanitized sports books that were the norm up to that point of my life.

I've read it at least once a decade since, and it's still a hugely enjoyable read. I'm overdue to break it out again...