Monday, September 04, 2006

FSU beats Miami 13-10

First off, it's really good to have college football back. What better way is there to spend weekend afternoons than to spend them watching college football. I wasn't able to watch a lot on Saturday, though it doesn't look like I missed a whole lot. However, I did get to see FSU/Miami, and it was about what I expected (though I thought Miami would win going into the game). Here are all of my jumbled thoughts:

- I don't mind all of the other rule changes, but I really don't like the clock starting on the change of possession. I understand they want to speed the game up, but I at least wish they would do away with it in the 4th quarter.

- This game looked a lot like last year, where FSU won 10-7. If Miami had just made a long drive at the end of the game that ended with a botched FG attempt, I would have thought I was watching a replay.

- FSU's defense was just everywhere. The linebackers were fast, the secondary was excellent, and the line put constant pressure on Wright. This is the defense that lost 4 first-rounders in the Draft last year? Really? Wow, they're extremely impressive once again. Miami managed 3 rushing yards.

- Miami's D was pretty darn good as well. Aside from a couple good FSU catches, the secondary was excellent in coverage. If you thought FSU holding Miami to 3 rushing yards was good, well, Miami held FSU to 2 rushing yards. If I was playing a nintendo game on the easiest level, I'm not sure I could hold the opponent to 2 rushing yards.

- While I'm on the subject, I'm with Todd Blackledge, I don't understand why a sack counts as negative rushing yards. Just seems kinda stupid to me. Let me also state for the record that I think Blackledge is excellent as a color man. Let me also state for the record that Lou Holtz should not be anywhere near a TV camera. The man is approaching senility quickly.

- Sam Shields, you need to catch the ball. Great pass by Wright on that 2nd to last drive, and I think that effectively killed any shot the Canes had at winning the game. On the other hand, Darnell Jenkins and Lance Leggett were very solid for the Canes. All-American TE Greg Olsen was a non-factor for the Canes.

- It's clear why EDSBS is the best college football blog throughout the land: Excellent live blog of the second half with a nice overview of most of the things that went on.

- All in all, it's clear that these are two of the top defenses in the NCAA. Both are fast, can get to the QB, and cause turnovers when the other teams make a mistake. FSU will certainly be in the top 10 next poll (probably released by the time you read this), and Miami shouldn't fall much further than 15 or so IMO. I'm not sure FSU has the offense to be able to contend for a national title, but the defense is certainly in place.

Excellent football game all-around, and a great way to end the first weekend of college football of the year!

1 comment:

SAMO said...

This might have been one of the most boring football games I have seen in a while.