Thursday, January 11, 2007

Other good readin'

I got kinda busy tonight, so I wasn't able to write anything, which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Fortunately, not everyone else took a day off, so here's what you should read instead (or in addition):

Awful Announcing has their review up of the Fox NCAA Football announcers... a good read, along with their ESPN review.

And speaking of the Fox guys, I found this quote from Bill Simmons' chat to be highly amusing:

I thought Fox's coverage, in general, was almost surreal. What about Eddie George and Emmitt Smith trash-talking each other during the pregame show while Chris Rose sat there with a blank look on his face? He looked like the "Airplane" stewardess taking dinner orders from the two guys speaking jive.

The other sequence I liked from the chat:

Jeannie (Philadelphia): Did you hear the Ohio State band playing the love theme from "Titanic" during halftime of Monday's game? Please tell me I'm not the only one who found the parallels between the sinking ship and the sinking Buckeyes team hilarious.

Bill Simmons: I loved it. I was delighted. I would have enjoyed it more if my ears weren't bleeding from Thom Brenneman. By the way, just got coffee … I'm about to wake up.

JR (San Diego): Tell Jeannie the answer is no because men don't watch the halftime show.

Good stuff there. Many say Bill Simmons has sorta gone from good to bad, and in some ways I agree as far as his columns... but he still puts out funnier stuff than most of the things I read. Sure, it's sometimes cluttered around stuff that doesn't make sense, but I've just come to accept that.

Moving on... as if you needed another reason to think Sean Salisbury is weird and creepy. But at least they fired Harold Reynolds [/sarcasm].

An era has passed... TO has fired his publicist. That's too bad things didn't work out.

Have fun!

1 comment:

Big Al said...

I've enjoyed reading Simmons' last few chats, and his recent columns have been closer to his once very high standards.

For a while there, I thought the Sports Gal's pithy little sidebars were better reading, as Simmons was just going thru the motions.

I believe Simmons is in the last year of his contract with the WWLiS, and he seems to be a little more like his old self. He's not self censoring his stuff nearly as much.

I still don't get his fascination with the MTV RW/RR crapola, though.