Friday, June 02, 2006

Mavs win Game 5; Dirk is really good

The Mavs took care of business in Game 5 on their home court, winning 117-101, making Game 6 (obviously) a must-win for the Suns if they want to keep their season alive.

The big story of the game, at least from my view, was just how utterly dominating Dirk Nowitski was. 50 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover? Are you kidding me? Those are good numbers if you're playing a video game. In real life? Well, as Steve Kerr mentioned during the broadcast, this might be one of the best playoff games ever.

With the Mavs down 7 late in the 3rd, Dirk just put the team on his back the rest of the way. He drove to the lane, finished at the hoop, got to the free line, made the free throws, grabbed key rebounds, and then hit some outside jumpers for good measure. Everything he possibly could do, he did. With all due respect to Dwyane Wade (who's playing out of his mind right now) or LeBron James (who was my MVP choice), Dirk Nowitski is the best player in the world right now.

Elsewhere, Nash was 5/17 from the field? Ugh. If he does that in Game 6 the Suns will be gone fishin'.

James Jones is really just taking up space out there for the Suns. I know he was solid for them in the regular season, but he's just been inept for them throughout the postseason. Tentative when he's forced to handle the ball, and can't hit the outside jumper. Unfortunately, D'Antoni has absolutely no other options right now, so he has to play Jones for a little bit each game.

I like Josh Howard more and more each time I see him. Tough player, good off the dribble, and the outside shot is coming around to be more consistent. He's really broken out this postseason, but I'll be the first to admit I didn't know he was this good.

Game 6 Saturday night (I think) in Phoenix. As good as the Mavs looked in the 4th quarter, I suspect D'Antoni and the Suns to have a few more tricks up their sleeves. Initially, I predicted the Mavs to take this in 6, but now I think Phoenix will be able to get it down and force another Game 7. But Nash needs to shoot better, and Diaw needs to play like he did early in the series. If they can get something from the bench, they have enough firepower to force Game 7.

No comments: