Monday, February 20, 2006

Barry Bonds to retire after 2006?

Well, one day after Barry Bonds told the USA Today in a phone interview, "I'm not playing baseball anymore after this. The game [isn't] fun anymore. I'm tired of all of the crap going on. I want to play this year out, hopefully win, and once the season is over, go home and be with my family. Maybe then everybody can just forget about me.", he clarified that statement.

He told MLB.com "If I can play [in 2007], I'm going to play; if I can't I won't, If my knee holds up, I'll keep on going. I'm playing psychological games with myself right now. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if things don't work out this season."

Some, such as Gene Wojchiechowski of ESPN can't wait to see him go. Myself, I hope he sticks around. Sure, he's got a big ego, and is absolutely terrible with the media, especially amid steroid speculation. But, he's fun to watch. He's a great hitter, incredible eye at the plate, and one of the best players ever. In 40 years, no one's going to remember that he was awful with the media, they're going to remember that he was one of the top players ever. Which is why I hope he sticks around for a little while longer.

6 comments:

mhofeld said...

Good bye Bonds! He is one of the biggest jerks in sports and a roids freak. He will not have a outstanding season.

twins15 said...

He may be one of the biggest jerks, but I can see him having another good year. He's still got a better eye at the plate than anyone ever, which allows him to make up for any loss of power with age/possible non-steroid use. I don't think he'll have anything like his 2001-2003 run which was the best 3-year run ever, but he should still be a really outstanding hitter.

Ian C. said...

I ripped Bonds on my blog today, but I agree that he doesn't get enough credit for his skills. His batting eye is tremendous. And I don't know if steroids have anything to do with how he can turn on an inside pitch better than anyone I've ever seen.

If his knee allows him to, he should still be a damn fine hitter.

Anonymous said...

I really dont know how to take Bonds. I have a team person in sports and I got a feeling Bonds has the same affect as A-Rod.

History seems to be remember personal stats so I think in another twenty years the perception of Bonds will change. I bet he will also be much more mellow in twenty years.

In twenty years how many people will know of Robert Horry

diet dilemma magmem style said...

I treasure the sport cards I have with Barry Bonds on. Give the man credit where credit is due. The media always needs a scape goat.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀酒店打工 酒店工作酒店上班酒店兼差酒店兼職打工兼差打工兼職台北酒店 酒店應徵 禮服酒店 酒店經紀 打工 兼差