Tuesday, February 07, 2006

My Final Super Bowl Thoughts

By now the Super Bowl is pretty much in the back of everyone's mind, but I still have a couple of things I thought were interesting, so I'll post them before moving on.

First, for all the talk before the game about how this was going to be such a boring Super Bowl, there weren't storylines, etc. it turned out that this was the highest rated Super Bowl since 2000. It was watched on about 41.6% percent of the 110 million U.S. homes that have televisions, which is a pretty staggering amount. So much for no one caring about the game.

Second, I thought Mike Holmgren's comments were a little, well, classless, I guess.

"We knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers," Holmgren said. "I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well."

I can understand being upset, but this doesn't seem to set a good precedent. Seems like all he is doing is making excuses. No Mike, I'm sure the awful clock management, and allowing a 75-yard run, a 43-yard WR Reverse Pass, and a 3rd-down conversion on 3rd & 28 had nothing to do with it. I'm assuming Holmgren will get fined for the comments, which seems about right.

But anyway, that's the football season. See you at the draft!

1 comment:

Mesmur said...

The game was closer than a lot of people thought, but I really think the referees played too big a factor in the game. They made huge drive killing calls on Seattle 3 times, and all 3 should’ve been no-calls. It was very one-sided from the view of most people I’ve talked to. I would have to concur with that assessment.

The push off in the endzone… both players committed a penalty… they chose to ignore the hold on the Steeler db. Holding on 2 other drives when it wasn’t much of a hold, and even agreed upon by the booth. And what was that call on Hasselback in the 4th? He made a great tackle… no way was he trying to do anything else.

You could also debate the reviewed call that wasn’t overturned for the first touchdown. He didn’t make it in either.

And I’m a Packer fan. I just think they did a lousy job. I didn’t really even want Seattle to win because of Holmgren. I just don’t like seeing the game taken over by crappy calls.

That wideout pass to Hines Ward though was a thing of beauty. Great play.

And by the way… penalties = Seattle 7-70, Pittsburgh 2-20. And 3 of Seattle’s were major game influencing calls.

Congrats to the Steelers though. What a run… just wish the game would have been called better.