Friday, February 03, 2006

Super Bowl Pick

I've put this off for far too long, maybe because of my .500 record so far in picking the playoffs, but it's time to unveil my Super Bowl pick.

But first, let me say this. Despite lots of people, mainly members of the media such as Skip Bayless who keep talking about how this Super Bowl isn't very good, there's no storylines, yada yada yada, I got to say I'm pretty excited for it. It might not be a flashy matchup, but the fact is, two of the best teams in the NFL are playing (and 6 seed or not, Pittsburgh with Ben Roethlisberger is without a doubt one of the top 3 teams in the league). We don't have a storyline like previous years, but we've got two really good football teams playing in the biggest game of the year. I can't complain.

On to the game. I really think this will be a close one, because both teams have good, opportunistic defenses that can get to the QB. Both teams have good running games, good QB's that make good decisions, and decent Special Teams. The Seahawks have the best O-Line in the NFL, and the League MVP RB running behind it... although that guy probably isn't even the MVP of his own team. Regardless, the point is, their offense is really good.

In Piitsburgh, we have the hottest team in the NFL. They haven't lost in two months. They went to Indy and defeated the most talented team in the NFL. Their QB has lost like 4 times in his career. And Troy Polamalu is playing absolutely incredible football right now.

What does all of this mean? Well, I think Pittsburgh could jump out to an early lead, something like 10-0, since that's what they've been doing lately, and that'll cause everyone to be, "Yep, I told you. The NFC sucks." Then I think Hasselbeck will settle down, the defense will start to play well, and we'll settle in to something like 17-10 at halftime.

In the 2nd half, Pittsburgh will do what they do. They'll run the ball a lot, play good defense, and let Roethlisberger make plays on 3rd down. I can see Seattle driving late for a go-ahead TD, and Troy Palamalu intercepted one at around midfield. It just feels like Pittsburgh and Bill Cowher's year. And I promise it has nothing to do with Jerome "The Bus" Bettis (did you guys know he's from Detroit?)

Super Bowl Pick:

Pittsburgh - 24
Seattle - 20