Thursday, February 02, 2006

Donovan McNabb speaks out

By now, I'm sure most of you have heard about this, Michael Smith of ESPN.com interviewing Donovan McNabb, where McNabb spoke very candidly about a lot of things, most notably the Terrell Owens situation.

Personally, I'm not sure why McNabb gave the interview. This whole time, he's come out looking like the good guy here, with Owens sepaking out against him, and McNabb keeping his mouth shut and just playing football, which I certainly respected. I understand that there have been some attacks on McNabb, whether it was from Owens or the NAACP of all places, and I guess they all just got to McNabb.

The part I found the most, well, stupid, was when McNabb talked about a "black-on-black" crime. I'm sure you heard about this, but earlier in the year, Owens agreed that if the Eagles had Favre, they might have been better off. McNabb says that was especially insulting to him because Favre is white, and he could have understood it more if he was compared to a black QB. Now, let me preface this by saying that Owens might be my least favorite guy in sports, but I didn't see anything racial about this, especially since:

a) McNabb was basically playing hurt at the time, and was nowhere near 100%.
b) Michael Irvin was the one that originally brought up Brett Favre, and Terrell Owens just agreed with him.

Or maybe, as someone else suggested, McNabb would have been less insulted if Owens had said the Eagles would have been better off with Seneca Wallace at QB? What a joke.

Do I think McNabb is the bad guy at all here? No. But I can tell you one thing for free, I had a lot more respect for him before this interview.

No comments: