Sunday, February 19, 2006

Slam Dunk Contest, Etc.

All-Star Saturday night, including Shooting Stars, the Skills Challenge, the 3-Point Shootout, and the most entertaining, the Slam Dunk Contest. My thoughts on the whole night:

- Charles Barkley: "The best dunk ever being decided by a white man. This ain't right." [about Ernie Johnson]

- This whole night was made infinitely more entertaining by EJ, Chuck Bakrley, Kenny Smith, and Reggie Miller. Sir Charles in particular made me actually laugh out loud more than once.

- That being said, Magic Johnson is just awful. He almost ruined the dunk contest. For example, durin the first round of Nate Robinson's misses, he said, "He should just dunk. Stop trying for the fancy one, let's just move on." Next round, twice as many misses, "This is great for the fans. Keep going Nate, we all want to see this." And then of course he had to get dramatic, "This shows to all you little people out there, you can play in the NBA, and if you can jump high enough, you can even be in the Slam Dunk Contest." Thanks Magic. I guess we didn't learn that from Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues or Spud Webb.

- What was Josh Smith doing with the tape? Anyone know his reasoning behind that?

- In my mind, Andre Iguodala deserved the win. For one, he didn't take 10 minutes to complete a dunk (granted, Robinson's dunks were very nice). Also, he had the best dunk of the night, where he came from behind the backboard, had to dunk, and put it in. Great dunk. His bounce, behind-the-back dunk was also quite awesome. He should have won in my opinion. Of course, I'm a Philly fan, so I could be biased.

- Robinson jumping over Spud Webb was really, really cool, and a great dunk.

- If anyone watched "The Greatest Dunk Ever" before the night's festivities, my vote would have been for Jason Richardson's "bounce reverse windmill" jam was 2003. That was just awesome.

- The other events were kinda boring. The Shooting thing was kinda cool, but it was too quick. The Skills was kinda dull, and the 3-Point Shootout wasn't really dramatic at all, and the shooters weren't very good. Where was Kyle Korver?!?

- All in all, I can thank Sir Charles and Kenny "The Jet", along with Nate Robinson and Andre Iguodala for a very entertaining night. Only thing left is the actual game itself, which is Sunday night!

5 comments:

ChicagoJason said...

The best dunk of the night WAS Andre's come-from-behind-the-backboard dunk. That was incredible. However, the Contest is not designed to give the trophy to the best singular dunk, that's why they use this two rounds, two dunks per round, scoring system. Perhaps Andre's combined score should've been equal to Robinson's... there was some controversy about a judge holding up a 10, and then changing it to a 9. But, that would've tied the score for another dunk. I would've liked to see that.

I just found you blog, and I'm enjoying. I thought I'd put in my $0.02. If you like poker, check out my blog, http://chicagopokerclub.net/

Anonymous said...

Found you site through BE, I blogged about the Slam Dunk Contest, I thought Andre's come from behind dunk was the best ever. Probably because I havents seen a good dunk contest for a long time.

We are actually blogging about similar things, I missed Ricky Williams new bust though

Ian C. said...

I haven't watched the Slam Dunk Contest in probably almost ten years, but I was intrigued enough to watch it this year. I really wanted to enjoy it, but it's so boring when a guy is allowed 15 tries to nail a dunk.

And he's not penalized AT ALL for those misses? Are you kidding me? I know you grade the dunk, but how can you not take all those misses into consideration? (Especially when it makes for awful television.)

A guy should get three tries - period. If he doesn't get it - sorry, kid - we gotta move on.

Anonymous said...

I for one find the dunk contest to be the least interesting of all the activities. It requires to least amount of talent - hope it goes away someday.

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀酒店打工 酒店工作酒店上班酒店兼差酒店兼職打工兼差打工兼職台北酒店 酒店應徵 禮服酒店 酒店經紀 打工 兼差