Thursday, March 02, 2006

The MVC Tourney kicks off

The first round of the MVC Tourney, which should be one of the more interesting conference tourneys because of the balance of the league and because there are so many teams jockeying for position/entry in the Tournament, started tonight.

In the first game, Indiana State beat Drake 72-63. In the nightcap, Evansville held off Illinois State 52-45. I'll grant you, neither of these games are particularly exciting, but look at the box score in the Indiana State/Drake game.

First Half Points:
Indiana St. - 10
Drake - 19

Second Half Points:
Indiana St. - 62
Drake - 44

I didn't see the game, so I have no idea why the disparity between halves was so enormous, but I thought that was pretty interesting, and certainly nothing I've ever seen.

But anyway, the more exciting stuff in the MVC starts tomorrow, as Bradley takes on Creigton at 2:30, and Northern Iowa takes on Missouri St. at 8:30. All four are quality teams, and all four could really use a win to feel better about their chances of getting into the tourney (although Creigton is close to a lock). My picks are Bradley and Northern Iowa, but it should certainly be interesting.

Also tonight, the chances of Conference USA getting a 2nd bid greatly improved tonight, as UAB beat Memphis 80-74. UAB is a solid team, and they have had good success the past couple years in the tournament, and if I was a 5 or 6 seed, I would not want to see these guys in the first round. Their style (run, run, and then run) is difficult to defend and gameplan for, which makes them a tough matchup. All five of their starters scored in double figures tonight.

Although Memphis did have a reason to be rusty, as this was their first actual game close game since early January, when they lost to Texas. They should still be very good, and still have a shot for a 1 seed, especially with Texas losing yesterday. But you heard it here first, if Ohio St. wins out (including the conference tourney), look for them to get the 4th #1 seed.

I'd write more, but I'm burned out after 5 hours of studying for my Calculus test I have tomorrow. Wish me luck!