Monday, April 03, 2006

My Title Game Prediction

Coming into the weekend, I would have said Florida over UCLA for the National Title. Then, I saw the games yesterday, and my early reaction was UCLA would win. Now, after another day of thinking, I'm having a harder time than ever picking.

Both UCLA and Florida have played incredibly good basketball all Tourney (save for one half for UCLA against Gonzaga). They've been consistent offensively, and shut down some pretty potent offenses.

That's why I'm so excited for this game, even beyond the fact that my favorite team is playing in it. I think both teams are playing their best basketball of the year, and both teams are very solid on both ends of the court. I think Florida is the better offensive team at this point, because they have better balance inside and outside, but I think UCLA is definitely the superior defensive team, as they showed holding both Memphis and LSU to 45 points.

Let's get one thing straight, I definitely think both teams will at least break 45. Florida is similar to LSU in that they have multiple scoring options down low, but they are better offensively in that they can actually hit the 3, which will change UCLA's game plan a lot. This game, they will have to rely a lot more on Hollins, Mbah a Moute, Aboya, Mata, and Co. to stop Noah and Horford in more 1-on-1 situations, so that the guards can stay out on the shooters. This is really the key to the game.

How do I think it will play out? I think Noah will definitely get his points, although it won't be easy. I think Hollins and Mata will play solid enough defense so that UCLA won't have to constantly double team, and I'm not sure the Florida guards can create too many shots for themselves against the Bruin defenders on the perimeter. When the Bruins have the ball, I also think they'll struggle to score. As good as Hollins has been, he's not really a consistent scorer down low, and Mbah a Moute is more of a garbageman and great offensive rebounder. I think Farmar, Afflalo and Bozeman are going to have to create a lot of their own shots, and ultimately, I think they'll create just enough.

UCLA 64, Florida 61