Saturday, March 24, 2007

Elite 8 Preview

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch much of the action on Friday (though enough to say that was clearly a travel by Jeff Green), so instead I'll make some Elite 8 picks.

Ohio St. vs. Memphis
You know what, I kinda like Memphis here. I feel like people are still underrating Memphis... on ESPN Dick Vitale said something about them overachieving, but I think that's selling them short. I mean, they just beat a really good Texas A&M team in San Antonio. They didn't have a tough schedule, but this is a superb team. Memphis is really athletic, shoots the ball well, and they have size down low to play with Oden (though Dorsey has to be careful about the fouls. Ohio St. is a slight favorite, but I like Memphis right now.

Kansas vs. UCLA
You know my pick here... Kansas struggled mightily with Southern Illinois, a GREAT defensive team but only average offensive team. UCLA is another great offensive team but a little better than the Salukis offensively. But seriously, this should be an absolutely fantastic game. I'll take UCLA.

Florida vs. Oregon
Oregon can beat anyone because they are such good shooters... we know that. But, I think things will be a little harder going against Florida. The difference between Florida and Butler or Winthrop is that the Gators big men are really athletic, and can stay with guys on the perimeter and not give up open shots. That can they can score down low, especially Noah. I like Florida to get back to the Final Four.

North Carolina vs. Georgetown
This might be the most fascinating matchup of the weekend just because of the contrasting styles. North Carolina likes to run on every possession, Georgetown is a patient, half-court team. The Tar Heels have struggled this year when forced to play a halfcourt game, and Georgetown can make them do that. I like Georgetown to control the tempo, get the ball down low, and beat the Tar Heels in what should be another great game.

What are your picks?

6 comments:

SAMO said...

I will give you a nice summary since u missed some of the action:

USC - UNC = USC was up and looked great but UNC's depth eventually got the best of the Trojans as they tired and faded at the end.

Florida - Butler = Florida just a little too much, Butler did make a game of it though.

UCLA - Pitt = UCLA kinda dominated.

Oregon - UNLV = Oregon was up all game long.

twins15 said...

Thank you... what are your picks for these games? After all, you're the guy that was thisclose to picking the SIU upset.

And by the way Mini Me, congrats on having WBRS linked by TrueHoop on ESPN. :)

SAMO said...

Thanks Twins. I really did think SIU would win that one. Unfortunate my pick didn't come to fruition, cause I had SIU beating Kansas in my bracket. To my picks for today...

I like Ohio State over Memphis. I am somewhat concerned about the way Ohio State has trailed by big margins in the second half of some of these games (Ten and Xav). But I still like Ohio State. Mark my words, Greg Oden will have a big game (it's about time).

UCLA's fantastic defense reminds me somewhat of SIU's, not so much in philosophy but the fact that both teams are damn good at it. I don't really even like UCLA that much but I think their style works well for them in the tourney. I think if UCLA is trailing late they don't have the offensive firepower to comeback, but I don't think that will be the case...give me UCLA.

Florida. They are just too much for anyone in that weak region. What a joke of a region...I will be cheering for Oregon though.

I'll take Georgetown and I think this will be the best game of them all. USC almost beat UNC but UNC's depth got the best of the Trojans. I don't think Georgetown has that problem. Give me Georgetown in a close one.

If I am wrong on all four picks I wouldn't be surprised though.

rstiles said...

Gutsy pick in Memphis...I don't have a lot of respect for Conf. USA....but I hope you are right!

SAMO said...

Looks like I am 2 for 2 thus far...But I am a little bit concerned about my Georgetown pick. I'm not sure if they have the shooting or athleticism to hang with UNC. But I will stick with my pick.

Anonymous said...

aa免費看情色a片日本a片av女優av片ava片下載85cc免費影片85cc免費影城a片sex520免費影片hilivesogo論壇線上a片免費a片okav成人影院Hilive8591.tv鎖碼頻道AV168 成人電影院成人聊天室av小魔女免費影片a片日本a片aa片免費看a片下載情色a片免費a片aaa片免費看短片aaa片免費看aaa片免費看影片線上a片免費a片下載卡通a片線上aa片免費看免費線上a片aa片免費看影片情色a片日本a片av女優av片avsogo論壇okava片下載85cc免費影片85cc免費影城a片hilivesex520痴漢俱樂部okav成人影院hiliveavhigh聊天室守護甜心視訊聊天網av