Sunday, March 18, 2007

Weekend Tourney Recap

As I wrote on Saturday, a dull Round 1 of the Tournament was mostly made up for with a much more exciting Round 2 (at least on Saturday). There still weren't too many big upsets, but the games were a lot more competitive and came down to the wire. Here's what stuck out most to me:

- First off, what a way to start the weekend with Ohio St/Xavier. It was a great game from start to finish (the emotion that it was played with, especially on the Xavier side, was excellent). And then, of course, the end of regulation was superb, and made all the better by the fact that Gus Johnson was announcing the game.

One note about the Lewis 3 to tie it... although I hate to see it from a fan's standpoint, I really think it's a smart play, especially if it's within the last 5 seconds, to foul when you are up 3. Too many wild things, like Lewis hitting a deep 3 to tie it, can happen if you just let things play out.

- The UCLA/Indiana game was 20-13 at half. I love the defense, but UCLA, only 20 points in a half worries me! Of course, plays got made when they had to be made at the end of the game, but I did not think that game was going to be so nerve-wracking.

- I wasn't able to watch the game, but the score of USC/Texas just shocked me. A 19 point loss in round 2 by a team that many, myself included, thought might have a shot to win it all if things broke right? I guess it just shows that one man can't do it all, even if that man is the best player in college basketball and one of the most gifted players we've ever seen. DJ Augustin had as many turnovers as points... what the heck happened?

- UNLV, welcome back. Kevin Kruger with 16 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds, and 0 turnovers... I'm guessing Lon Kruger will take that everytime. Wendell White is quickly turning into the unknown star of the Tournament.

- After 2 games, Southern Illinois is allowing less than 50 points per game. Kansas is averaging 97.5 PPG. Something, as they say, has got to give.

- Boston College played better than I thought they would against Georgetown... It's been a pleasure watching Jared Dudley over the years.

- Edgar Sosa... great game, tough finish. First, after going 15/15 on free throws he missed two big ones down the stretch, and then takes an ill-advised three down 3 with about 6 or 7 seconds left in the game. Not a good ending to what was a very good game for him.

- Sweet 16 previews coming up later this week.

What stuck out most to you?